2013 Information Sessions: Interested in or have questions about our one-year professional master's program (MS-B)? Information sessions will take place on Thursday, 11/7 at 11:00 AM and Thursday, 11/21 at 3:30 PM. If interested, please contact Collette DeWitt at (970) 491-3464 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to set up an appointment. Please revisit website for further information sessions.
The professional, non-thesis Master of Science in Microbiology-Immunology (MS-B) is designed to strengthen the scientific academic portfolio of those seeking professional degrees and provide differentiating preparation for those seeking careers in industry. You will work side-by-side one of the leading microbiology and immunology departments in the nation as you develop your professional knowledge and skills.
With the growth of biotechnology and the increase in technology and specialization in applied microbiological sciences, there is a significant regional and national need for additional educational opportunities for individuals wishing to pursue a career in these industries. In addition, many students wish to pursue additional post-baccalaureate studies due to a variety of interests such as improved preparation for professional (medical, veterinary, DO, etc) schools or PhD programs. The MIP department's MS-B provides an excellent opportunity to meet these needs. As a recognized world leader in infectious disease basic and translational research with over $144 million in active extramurally funded research programs – including a good variety of translational efforts that interface with industrial partners, the MIP department is uniquely positioned in our region to effectively provide this training.
Goals of the Microbiology-Immunology Non-Thesis Master's Program
The overall goal of the program is to give each student a competitive advantage for their future career in industry or their admission into professional school. To develop this advantage the program leverages your undergraduate education and training in life science and provides the advanced knowledge and skills required through:
- A rigorous curriculum designed to provide cutting-edge knowledge in both theoretical and applied aspects of microbiology, virology, immunology and molecular biology.
- A strong emphasis on aspects of the discipline that will be useful in real world employment scenarios.
- A well-rounded curriculum that includes the development of vital professional skills such as verbal and written communication, responsible conduct of research, and biosafety.
- Active communication with regional and national representatives from the pharmaceutical, biotech, government and public health sectors to ensure that the program's curriculum remains pertinent and effective.
- A high level of communication in the program to facilitate active mentoring, networking and career discussions, and
Access to take full advantage of the cutting-edge facilities and expertise available in the department.